These are perfect for taking to a mom who has just had a new baby (or a mom who had a baby a few months ago and could use a little surprise from a friend!), or if you're pregnant you could make a bunch to put in the freezer for after the baby arrives (I definitely plan on doing that next time around!).
Recipe adapted from here.
Makes a LOT of cookies, like 4-6 dozen depending on how small you make 'em (but you can freeze some and they freeze/thaw really well!).
1 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 tbsp water
2 tbsp ground flax seed
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
4 tbsp brewer's yeast powder
1. Mix flaxseed meal and water and let sit for 3-5 minutes.
2. Beat butter and sugars until smooth. Add eggs and mix well.
3. Add flaxseed/water mixture and vanilla. Beat well.
4. Whisk together flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to butter/sugar mixture gradually and mix until combined.
5. Stir in oats and chocolate chips.
6. Scoop tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto baking sheet (lightly greased, or use parchment paper or a Silpat).
7. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.
This recipe is super adaptable... I've tried all of the following with excellent results:
(1) Substitute white whole wheat flour for 1 cup of the flour.
(2) Substitute 1 cup of apple cinnamon instant oatmeal for 1 cup of the oats, skip the chocolate, and add a little extra cinnamon.
(3) Add in a cup of coconut flakes.