Recipe adapted from here.
24 oz Italian sausage (I use 16oz mild an 8oz hot, but you can adjust to change the spiciness)
1 medium onion, diced
1 20oz can pineapple tidbits
4 14.5oz cans diced tomatoes with chili seasoning
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 6oz can tomato paste
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
4 tsp ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
shredded cheese for topping
1. Cook sausage and onions in a skillet over medium heat. Drain off fat and put sausage and onions in a slow cooker.
2. Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice and fruit separately. Add the juice to the slow cooker. Store fruit in the fridge for later use.
3. Add seasoned tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and garlic to slow cooker. Stir everything to combine.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4-5 hours. Add pineapple and stir 30-60 minutes before finished cooking.
5. Serve topped with cheese.