Recipe adapted from here.
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cloves garlic, minced (divided)
1/2 cup milk
1 1/4 cup chicken broth (divided)
2 tbsp sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
2 parsnips, diced
8oz mushrooms, diced
10 oz bag frozen mixed veggies
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp tomato paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1. Boil sweet potatoes and 3 cloves garlic in a pot of salted water until cooked and soft. Drain sweet potatoes. In a large bowl, put potatoes, 1/4 cup chicken broth, sour cream, and salt and pepper (to taste). Mash until creamy.
2. In a large saucepan, brown turkey. Set turkey aside on a plate. Add olive oil to pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and parsnip and saute. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until celery is soft (about 10 minutes).
3. Add remaining garlic and mushrooms to onion-celery-parsnip mixture. Heat and stir for another 4 minutes. Add flour and mix well.
4. Add in frozen mixed veggies, remaining 1 cup chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, and cooked turkey. Mix well. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Spread turkey-veggie mixture evenly into a large baking dish. Top with mashed sweet potatoes. Use a spatula to evenly spread the potatoes, then use a fork to scrape ridges into the potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
6. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes begin turning golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve!
(boiling sweet potatoes)
(celery, onion, parsnips)
(mashed sweet potatoes)
(onion, celery, parsnips, and mushrooms, and garlic)