I thought I didn't like eggplant until I made this recipe. I wouldn't have tried it in the first place, except it was a Friday during Lent and I had to make something without meat! But it turns out I do actually like the stuff, provided it's breaded and served with basil and cheese. Haha! You could totally do this recipe as just eggplant parmesan (without the bread), but we love it as a sandwich!
1. Coat a baking sheet with foil and olive oil spray.
2. Place marinara in a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, stir together crushed croutons and half the cheese.
3. Dip eggplant slices in marinara, then in crouton mixture (you may need to press on some of the crouton mixture to coat).
4. Place eggplant on prepared baking sheet. Lightly coat with olive oil spray.
5. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, or until breading is lightly browned and eggplant is tender.
6. Toast buns for a couple minutes in an oven or toaster oven. Heat remaining marinara in the microwave. Assemble sandwiches by placing a few slices of eggplant on each bun and topping with marinara, fresh basil, and remaining cheese.
(marinara and crouton-cheese mixture, reading for dipping!)