Monday, June 10, 2013

Bedskirt Switcheroo

An alternate title for this post could be "How a Small Red Crayon Saved Us $300," but you'll have to keep reading for that story. :) 

When we bought the quilt, duvet, and headboard for our master bedroom, I knew I was going to need a new bedskirt to go with it. What I didn't foresee was that the Pottery Barn headboard would end up making our boxspring sit so high that a standard bedskirt wouldn't reach the ground.


I needed an 18" bedskirt, and after lots and lots of searching, I had pretty much accepted the fact that I was either going to have to make one myself, or pay $300 for this one from Ballard Designs.

But while I was waiting to find the time to make one (because $300 for a bedskirt was NOT an option), a miracle happened. A miracle in the form of a red crayon at my mom's dry cleaner.

My mom had taken her comforter + bedskirt to be dry cleaned, but somehow, a red crayon ended up in there with the comforter, and it came out covered in little red splotches that the dry cleaner couldn't get off. They ended up buying her a new bedding set, which meant she ended up with an extra bedskirt! 

She knew I was looking for one, and she knew her boxspring sat up pretty high too, so she brought it to me to try, and lo and behold - it fit! 

The only problem was that it looked like this:

IMG_4305

The linen color was fine, but the thick black strip? NOT the calm, neutral look we were going for. But other than the black stripe, it's so pretty!

IMG_4319
I love the texture-y linen below the stripe!

I really wanted to make it work somehow. The black stripe was 1" grosgrain ribbon, so I ordered a bunch of 1.5" taupe grosgrain ribbon from Ribbon and Bows Oh My.

IMG_4323

The taupe ribbon was wide enough to cover the black ribbon, and it matched our color scheme just fine! To affix it, I bought some Heat n Bond iron-on adhesive:

IMG_4326

I lined the ribbon with the Heat n Bond first...

IMG_4327

And then I peeled off the backing little-by-little and affixed the taupe ribbon on top of the black ribbon.

IMG_4329

In the end, I had this!

IMG_4330
No more black stripes!

I was a little worried that the taupe stripes were too thick and chunky, but when I got it on the bed, it was just right!

IMG_4691

IMG_4670

So that's the story of how a little red crayon solved our bedskirt crisis! Lessons learned: (1) there's a wonderful place called Ribbons and Bows Oh My where you can buy any sort of grosgrain ribbon your heart desires, and (2) you can really get any be-ribboned product and easily fix it to match the look you're going for! 

Pin It

2 comments:

  1. I really love it, that looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha-- that's awesome. And it looks great!

    ReplyDelete