Recipe adapted from here.
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 large eggs
1 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1 oz (yep, the whole little bottle!) green food coloring
1. Stir eggs in a medium bowl to separate the yolks. Add oil, buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring. Whisk until combined and set aside.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. Make sure it all gets mixed very well (so the baking soda is evenly distributed).
3. Gradually add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until well-combined. Watch out for green splatters (don't run your mixer too fast)!
4. Pour the batter into cupcake liners.
5. Bake at 350 for about 16 minutes (for regular cupcakes) or 13 minutes (for mini cupcakes).
6. Cool on a wire rack, then add your favorite cream cheese frosting (and some St. Patty's Day sprinkles)!
(wet ingredients before food coloring)
(adding food coloring)
(ready to add the green liquid!)
(wet ingredients after food coloring)
(adding wet ingredients to dry ingredients)
(ready for the oven!)
(I love doing cupcakes with my Wilton 1M tip)
(Mmm, green cake!)