2 oz. red food coloring (yep, a whole two ounces!)
8 oz cream cheese (at room temperature)
1 cup butter (at room temperature)
6 cups powdered sugar
1. Stir eggs in a bowl with a whisk. Add oil, buttermilk, vinegar, 1 tsp vanilla, and food coloring, and whisk until combined.
2. Place flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, and baking soda in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir to mix.
3. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-high for about 2 minutes (or until mixed).
4. Pour into two greased round cake pans. Drop each pan on the counter a few times to release air bubbles.
5. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean (start checking after 25 minutes). Let cakes cool in the pans for ten minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. While cakes are baking, make the frosting. Beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy. Add remaining tsp vanilla. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing until smooth.