Karoline gave it a big thumbs up!
It made my dad smile!
Recipe adapted from here.
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 cups water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 + 1/3 cup brown sugar (separated)
2/3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup shortening
3 tbsp melted butter
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup pecan pieces
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Boil the water, and remove from heat. Mix the oats with the water, stir, and cover. Set aside.
2. Mix the white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, flour, salt, baking soda, egg, and shortening in a bowl. Stir in the oatmeal mixture.
3. Lightly grease a 9x9 pan. Pour batter into the pan. Bake at 350 for 22-24 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, mix melted butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar, coconut, pecans, milk, and vanilla.
5. After cake has cooled slightly, spread the coconut pecan frosting over the top of the cake.
6. Broil the cake until the coconut has browned slightly and sugar has caramelized (just a few minutes - watch it closely so it doesn't burn!).
7. Eat! Well, cool it a bit first. :)
(oats soaking in hot water)
(cake batter without oatmeal)
(frosting on top, ready to broil!)
(after broiling... see how it's nice and browned and caramel-y looking?)