This recipe is perfect for days like that, and it's totally healthy because of the broccoli. ;o) No really though, the recipe is from Skinny Taste so it can't be that bad!
Recipe adapted from here.
12 oz elbow pasta
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 tbsp dried minced onion
2 cups skim milk
1 cup chicken broth (low fat is fine!)
8 oz (2 cups) shredded sharp cheddar (low fat is fine here too)
salt and pepper to taste
2 medium heads of broccoli, florets chopped into bite-sized pieces and stalks discarded
1/8 cup grated Parmesan
1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1. Mix the dried minced onion with 1 tbsp water and set aside to soak.
2. Boil a large pot of water. Cook the broccoli florets and pasta according to the pasta's package directions for al dente (or a couple minutes less than the regular cook time). Drain and set aside.
3. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish, and preheat the oven to 375.
4. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the soaked minced onion and cook about 2 minutes. Add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well-combined. Add milk and chicken broth and whisk.
5. Raise the heat to medium-high and whisk the sauce until it comes to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the sauce is smooth and thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove sauce from heat and add the shredded sharp cheddar. Mix until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Add the broccoli and pasta to the sauce and mix well. Pour into the 9x13 dish.
8. Top with grated Parmesan and bread crumbs. Spray the bread crumbs with a little cooking spray.
9. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, then broil for 2-4 minutes to brown the breadcrumbs a bit.
(chopped broccoli florets)
(minced onion + water)
(onion + butter)
(after adding flour)
(sauce after adding milk and chicken broth)
(cooked elbow macaroni)
(sauce heated to boiling)
(remove heat and add cheese)
(sauce + broccoli + pasta)
(into the pan!)
(topped with parmesan and bread crumbs)
(mmm, bread crumbs!)
(fresh out of the oven!)