Recipe made up by me mostly, with the cake recipe loosely based on this.
1 lb strawberries (rinsed, destemmed, and sliced)
1 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp sugar [1 c for cake, 1/2 c for cream, 3 tbsp for strawberries]
1 pint heavy whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla [1 tsp for cake and 1 tsp for cream]
1/4 cup water
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1. In a medium-sized bowl, stir the strawberries together with 3 tbsp sugar. Set aside in the fridge to macerate (the sugar will pull the juices out of the strawberries).
2. Separate the eggs -- egg whites into a large mixing bowl (or stand mixer), and egg yolks into a separate bowl. Beat the egg yolks with a whisk until thick and lemony-colored. Gradually add 1 cup sugar to the egg yolks and mix well. Add in water and 1 tsp vanilla.
3. Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat mixture until egg whites are stiff, but not dry.
4. Fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into a lightly-greased mini bundt pan, muffin pan, or other similar pan. Bake at 325 for 30-45 minutes (you'll have to check frequently... this varies based on what kind of pan you use), or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into a cake comes out clean. **Note: you can also make this as one large cake - pour the batter into a 9-inch round cake pan and bake at 325 for 60 minutes.
5. While cakes are baking, beat the heavy whipping cream, 1 tsp vanilla, and 1/2 cup sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Set the whipped cream aside.
6. When cakes are finished, let them cool for a few minutes, then top each individual cake with a few spoonfuls of the macerated strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
(beaten egg yolks)
(egg whites+yolks mixture)
(ready for the oven!)