Recipe adapted from here.
1 tbsp water
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp flour + extra for rolling out the puff pastry
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and very thinly sliced into 1-inch long pieces
2 tbsp sweetened dried cranberries (like Craisins)
1 sheet Puff Pastry (half of a 17.3 oz package of Puff Pastry sheets), thawed
powdered sugar for dusting
1. Beat the egg and water in a small bowl with a fork to form an egg wash. Set aside.
2. Stir the granulated sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add the apples and cranberries and toss thoroughly to coat.
3. Sprinkle flour on a work surface, and unfold the puff pastry sheet. Using a rolling pin, roll the pastry sheet out into a 16-12 inch rectangle.
4. With the short side of the pastry facing you, spoon the apple mixture onto the bottom half of the sheet, leaving 1 inch of the pastry clear on each edge. Roll the pastry sheet up like a jelly roll and tuck the ends under to seal. Place seam-side down onto a baking sheet.
5. Brush the top of the pastry with the egg wash and cut several slits in the top of the pastry to vent.
6. Bake at 375 for 35 minutes, or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the strudel cool on a baking sheet on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, slice, and serve!
(going into the oven...)
(sprinkled with powdered sugar)