These are perfect. In every sense of the word. They're not too sweet, not too pumpkin-y, not too dense and not too light. Just perfect.
Recipe adapted from here.
2 cups canned pumpkin
1 cup canola oil (or vegetable oil would work)
2 1/2 cups plus 2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
3. In a large bowl, mix pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, 2 1/2 cups sugar, vanilla, spices, and salt until it's all well combined.
4. Add in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, making sure it doesn't clump together (you could use a sifter, but really - you just need to make sure it doesn't clump).
5. Whisk gently until the dry ingredients are incorporated (don't whisk too much!).
6. Add chocolate chips and stir.
7. Fill the muffin tins most of the way up (batter won't expand as much as regular cupcakes when baking).
8. Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining 2 tbsp sugar.
9. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes on a rack.
Makes about 2 dozen cupcakes (regular sized).
Adorable as mini cupcakes as well!!